Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Night Out

Nick reminded me earlier this week that our scheduled outing would be the first we have had without Deven, since Deven blessed us with his presence. I actually had to really think about this because I didn't think it was possible for so much time to pass without just hanging with Nick and the gang. Truly though, our "date-night" this Friday was the first in almost five months. If you follow our blog though you realize in no way does this mean we have not made it out at all. Deven is getting to be a restaurant regular in several cities around Washington. So, not to say we have been deprived of good ol' fashioned socialization with the general public but we have been missing the semi worry-free night that a good baby-sitter like Nick's sister could provide.

I don't believe it was Nick's ideal date night but in his words, "I'll take it." Our friend Codie is a die-hard Twilight fan and so she organized a group viewing of the 2nd in the series, New Moon, this last Friday. We (Nick, me, Anne and Deven) synchronized at our house around 5:45. Nick and I took turns flooding Anne's head with information; we hope all useful though I am sure some of it was a little over-kill. Once I gave a smiling, giggling Deven about three hugs and five kisses good-bye Nick and I climbed into the Truck for date night around 6:15.

We were scheduled for an 8pm showing so if you understand the craze that is the Twilight series you will understand that Nick and I were running a little behind. Codie and Alex graciously bought us each a gourmet Red Robin burger and snuck it into the theatre for us where we were diligently holding a spot for the group in the very long line. We were able to scarf down the burger while waiting in line and got the remaining fries past the theatre employee who had made it very clear at least two times that outside food was not permitted.

We couldn't all sit together because there were 10 of us (we were missing the Wilson's - two key players - due to sickness) but we all made it in with relatively good view of the screen. Yes, the theatre was sold out. At one point I looked around and realized just how many people were in the one room and wondered with the CDC would have to say about this scenario.

The movie it self was "OK" being a vampire genre fan from way back I of course love the fact that I can be open about my mild obsession but at the same time I am a little turned off by what has now become so main stream...I will/have gotten over it though. I think all the ladies and even some fellas will agree that the highlight of the film was Jacob Black's chiseled abs but overall the film did its best to stay true to the narrative and gave the audience what it wanted...some good sexual tension between two (or three) star crossed lovers. Good stuff.

After the movie the gang said good-bye to Julie who was so dedicated to seeing the movie that she drove three hours to see it with all of us and Shannon who stuck to her guns and insisted it was bed-time. I should have listened/followed Shan's example. With less than five hours of sleep Nick and I stumbled over to red robin where our sad lot tried to pretend that we hadn't been working and schooling for the last 5 to 7 days straight. I think we each had a drink and called it good. I tried not to feel shame as I saw the obvious disappointment in our servers face...had she pegged us for a big ticket? Sadly, at least on this night, we were not. I have faith though that we will get back on the wagon again soon...perhaps at a better bar in a more exciting city?!?!

Thankfully, Nick and my worries about leaving Deven for the first time at night was quelled by several texts we received throughout the night from Anne telling us that Deven had gone to bed timely was being a good little guy for his auntie. What was really interesting is that we were able to figure out just how much this little guy eats at night which is what will lead to my next post entitled "Rice Cereal."

Overall Nick and I had a good "first-night-out." Maybe next time we will be able to make it passed midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment