Monday, July 5, 2010

Lies, Lies, Lies!!



Yesterday was our friend Alex's 35...I mean 29th birthday extravaganza. I use the word extravaganza in every sense of the word. Let me explain.

For the past three months I have served as a double agent of sorts. Note: I do NOT lie well...my parents can attest...the few times I tried I just ended up telling them the truth because I did not have enough creativity to think of something else. Perhaps that is why I wasn't as adventurous as other teenagers...but I digress.

I got a call back in April from Alex. Alex and I are friends but he generally calls Nick...so right away, I know something is up. He explained my mission: discover girl friend Codie's birthday surprise plan, relay said plan back to Alex so he is sure that it is an appropriate venue and crowd to "pop the question," discover Codie's ring finger sizing, and finally, tell NO one (except Nick, of course...but I was only given this luxury with threats of which I will not describe...my Nana reads this!). I am not sure if Alex really knew how much of a challenge this would be for me. Again, I am terrible at lieing.

In order to keep this under 10 pages long let me summarize. We helped Codie plan her engagement party without her having a clue! With the help of ~30 of Alex's family and friends Codie coordinated a Booze Cruise around Lake Union/Lake Washington complete with BBQ brats, Pulled Pork, Ceviche, Haggen Birfday cake and an engagement ring that you could see from across the Boat.
During my three month mission there were many times where I thought I would fail. How in the heck was I supposed to just randomly get Codie's ring size? As every girl knows, girl talk will inevitably lead to marriage, babies and 'plans' in that order. However, I had been given a time line. In order for Alex to be able to purchase the ring with enough time before the party I had to work fast. As such I could not wait for the inevitable, I had to create it. See above discussion about overall lack of creativity. I ended up talking about my engagement/ring experience and then just ever so casually - practically made her - try on my ring. Approximate ring size - CHECK
Next...where to have this Surprise SURPRISE Party?? First thing was first...over come Alex telling Codie that he didn't want anything fancy, just low key. Codie's first plan was a Pub in Fremont, which any other time was absolutely perfect for Alex the romantic. This year's party though, at Alex's request, could NOT be in a pub. Hmmmm...a boat...a boat sounds awesome. I texted Codie, twisted her arm ever so slightly and it was done. Perfect engagement venue - CHECK.
Now all that was left was to not breath a word and remember which secrets I was keeping from Codie and which ones I was keeping from Al...ahhhh...I must admit, about two weeks ago I told a coworker the soap operah-esk story just so I could releive some of the pressure. This person has absolutely no connection to anyone involved so it doesn't count right?
Finally the day came. With Deven in the care of Gramma and Grandpa Bodle Nick and I made our way into Seattle. Little did Codie know every time she was away and even when she was sitting a foot away, me, Nick, Al and Al's family were all talking about it...pure insanity. After A lunch at Seattle's Oyster bar, a secret pony keg transport and 8 bags of ice later everyone met up at Fisherman's Terminal. 2 excruciatingly long hours into our three hour cruise we all gathered on the deck at Alex's request.
Picture a sunny Seattle Skyline, Kenmore Air plane flying by, about 3 video cameras, 4 cameras and a really confused Codie. This was Alex's surprise...right?? Alex went to open his one any only gift but he needed Codie's help. From a cereal box wrapped in news paper from 'The Stranger' Alex whipped out a beautiful blue Tiffany's box and got down on one knee. Tears immediately irrupted from everyone...deck hands included.
Of course she said YES!! Success was ours! I can't believe we pulled this off!!
My little synopsis does not do this enormous feat justice but I have included some pics taken from various friends that may help. Congrats Codie and Alex! It was so much fun helping you both surprise each other!!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment