Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A New Job

Most of you now know that I have a new job but I guess I should make it official by putting it in "the blog."

It has been almost a month now since my last day at JJCo. I will be forever grateful for the opportunities I was given there. I have been in public accounting about 7 years and one of the biggest things I have learned is that I NEED to be learning constantly. I also NEED to be surrounded by people that help me accomplish this. I found this 10 fold at JJCo and was honestly really really nervous to leave. It was an extremely tough decision but the time it took me to commute was just cutting too much into the time with my men.

One of the great things about public accounting is the experience you get in a relatively short amount of time. I have been able to "dabble" and work with financial groups in many different companies, organizations and governments. I tend to get really close to my clients and have kept in touch with them through the years. This is actually how I found out about a job opening up here in the Everett area. For about 2.5 years of my career at my previous firm, Moss Adams, I had the opportunity to work on the Snohomish PUD audit. I stayed in contact with the folks there and when a new position was created for the Risk Management department they forwarded it to me and asked me to apply - a great honor!

I talked with Nick, who as you can imagine was on board, so I went ahead and made the decision to apply. A month or so later I got an interview and then the offer. It was a bit of a whorl wind but I am so happy with our decision. I say "our" decision because Nick and I really made this one together. We weighed the pros and cons and ultimately me working up in Everett meant Deven had an hour less of School a day, I would get to spend an additional 2 to 3 hours with them both.

This first month has been amazing. I have a 15 to 20 minute commute and I am working with very smart people that help me continue my career and life goals.

For this first year at the PUD I will be setting up a process and ensuring the District is in compliance with its Bond Issues. In this last month I have learned an entirely new financial vocabulary and I have been digging through bond documents and related IRS code - I am in heaven. I know it is sick but its true!!

Nick and I both agree the added time I can devote to the family has increased our quality of life significantly. So while I was really nervous to leave a great job with great people I am grateful to say, so far so good! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment